With COVID-19 at the top of everyone’s mind, so is protecting yourself against it.
We will continue to offer you a sanctuary for rest and relaxation yet we also want to make sure that it’s as safe as possible for both our guests and our staff.
One of our main goals here is to help people manage their stress and that has never been truer than during high-stress events like this situation we’re all experiencing and witnessing with COVID-19.
Our intention is to contribute to the health and safety of our valued customers and team in this unusual global crises, while remaining grounded, clear and calm.
We want to assure you that we are being as proactive as we can when it comes to disinfection protocols and education surrounding COVID-19. It has always been and will always be paramount to us that you feel safe about coming to our space to rest, relax and heal.
In addition to the extensive cleaning we perform regularly (see below). We are taking additional precautionary steps to make sure we provide the safest environment we can for this community.
We’ve increased cleaning protocols to ensure all common areas as well as all doorknobs are cleaned and disinfected regularly. We are asking that all teachers and students wash their hands and/or use hand sanitizer both before and after class. Clean is kind – we can do this together.
The CDC recommends everyday preventive actions to avoid the spread of respiratory disease – wash your hands frequently and distance yourself from those who are coughing or sick. If you aren’t feeling well, we ask that you please stay home for your wellbeing and that of our staff and other guests.
One thing we can learn from the Coronvirus is the importance of self care to maintain a healthy immune system. Below is an overview of how we can help you boost your immunity and tips for small proactive steps you can take to look after your health.
Tank up your immune system
A strong and healthy immune system is truly your best defence against any cold, flu or virus, including COVID-19. While you may know that floatation therapy promotes pain and stress relief, as well as a number of other health benefits, did you know that floating also strengthens the immune system?
Science has well established the undeniable link connecting stress levels and immune function, which is why you may find yourself more susceptible to illness when you have too much on your plate. Stress raises cortisol and thereby depletes the immune system. In other words, cortisol puts a blindfold over the eyes of your immune cells, diminishing their function, which causes further stress. It’s a particularly vicious self-perpetuating cycle.
But there’s a way we can break the cycle before it even begins. If we reduce our stress, our immune systems remain strong in order to defend us against the various micro-organisms, viruses, colds and bacteria which can make us sick. Conveniently, we know of a couple of ways to immerse your body and mind in total relaxation and boost your immune system at the same time.
How float therapy boosts your immune system
For obvious reasons, this is probably the most critical time to be managing your self-care, not just for your well-being, but for everyone.
Chronic stress and poor sleep are 2 of the most significant factors that can compromise your immune system.
Floating can directly support both of these variables; stress and poor sleep. Floating has a potent relaxation response that encourages healthy immune function by minimising stress hormones circulating throughout the body, and it does this very quickly and naturally by the unique sensory reduced environment.
One of the most commonly reported side-effects of Floating is improved sleep. Again, most likely do to reducing the levels of stress hormones in your body, which can compromise the immune system.
Taking 60-120 minutes in a float tank allows the central nervous system to become very calm, and can allow for a better functioning of the immune system. This can also support healthier sleep, a vital part of maintaining overall health.
The meditative aspect of floating can create greater mental clarity and calmness as well, which will further support healthy sleep and overall better decision making.
We encourage you not just to maintain your self-care but maybe even step it up a bit, again, not only for your well-being, which allows you to continue providing for you and your family but also for the undoubted network effect you have within the collective.
People need to remain healthy to be able to continue working and supporting their communities, again, for the good of all.
Sweat your way to stronger immunity
Regular infrared sauna sessions are a great way to bullet-proof your immune system. The latest research is revealing that getting into a sauna once or twice per week can in fact decrease your chances of getting sick. Here’s how!
- Keeping your white blood cell count up. The heat generated by an infrared sauna stimulates energy at a cellular level, which, in turn increases the body’s production of white blood cells. These cells act as a first line of defence when infection strikes. An increased production of white blood cells (stimulated by the infrared sauna) can help the body fight off illness.
- Trigger the immune system. “Give me a fever and I can cure any disease” – Hippocrates. In fact, a fever is the way our body creates the conditions for the immune system to perform better. An infrared sauna session puts your body into a ‘fever’ which in turn triggers your immune system to act to protect you.
- Release toxins. Modern day life is full of toxins, from the air we breathe to the food we eat to the products we use in day-to-day life. A major benefit of infrared sauna sessions is detoxification. If we can sweat out the nasties our immune system has less to fight off.
- Increase your cell regeneration. Infrared sauna sessions stimulate cell regeneration. This type of regeneration can help get rid of cells that might be old, damaged or ineffective and replaces them with new cells. This process does happen naturally, however, the infrared sauna session speeds up the process, helping the body run as smoothly as possible. This is especially beneficial during the colder months as the body is being attacked more frequently.
- Stress relief. High stress produces high levels of cortisol, which can often results in a weakened immune system. Regular infrared sauna sessions help balance the cortisol levels and relaxes the mind and body.
What else you can do to boost your immunity
If you are worried about getting sick, there are a number of other things you can do to help improve your immunity. Starting with eating healthy, organic high quality foods, clean drinking water, and boost your immune system with herbs. Here is a great virus protection protocol by the Medical Medium.
Findings ways to lead a less stressful life is key. Taking care of yourself by nourishing your mind, body and spirit, not just once in a while or when you realise you desperately need it, but every single day. It means finding a balance and making space in your every day life to allow yourself to do the things that you love and make you feel at peace.
Looking at what in your life is adding to your stress levels is important too. Sometimes we are stuck in a job that makes us unhappy or we’re surrounding ourselves with toxic people. Creating more opportunities for joy and laughter, and just taking your shoes off and heading into nature are simple ways to lower stress levels. Nature makes us more calm, harmonises us and helps us remember our natural state.
All of that will keep your immune system strong and ward of illness. It is also important to remember that flu symptoms are our body getting rid of the toxins, it is its natural cleansing system. So if you do get sick, love yourself more, allow yourself time to rest, speak to yourself in a positive and kind way, nourish your body with fresh fruits, vegetables and healing herbs, good water and company and you will be just fine.
What we are doing to protect our customers
Since we’ve opened in 2015 – Sanitisation and cleaning standards have always been a daily focus for us at The Float Space. To us, this is all pretty standard stuff.
Rest assured that now as at any other times, the safety and hygiene of our pods and infrared sauna is our top priority. We follow strict sanitisation protocols in our centre from the manufacturer’s sanitation processes through to our centre’s best practice cleaning procedures. You’ll be safe in our float tanks and infrared saunas. More specifically:
- 550kg of Epsom salt. Epsom salt is inhospitable for bacteria and viruses, and having over 550kg of it in each of our pods with not a lot of water means they are highly inhospitable environments for pathogens purely from having that much salt in them.
- Water sanitisation & filtration. Besides the required pre-float shower, each tank has a 3-step filtering process that consists of a 10 micron filter to filter out particulate matter, ultra-violet (UV) sanitation (When bacteria, viruses and protozoa are exposed to the germicidal wavelengths of UV light, they are rendered incapable of reproducing and infecting.) and a small amount of hydrogen peroxide (an oxidiser) – a safe alternative to chlorine and bromine. The saltwater in our float tanks is filtered a minimum of 4 times between every guest.
- Sanitisation in rooms. We go in after every guest to visually inspect our suites, and disinfect all commonly touched surfaces such as interior surfaces of pods, showers, benches, float tank walls, etc.
- Clean towels. We provide a new set of towels for each client and every service.
- Sauna sanitisation. Bacteria and viruses are sensitive to heat therefore cannot survive in the Infrared sauna. We also clean and disinfect the interior surfaces of our saunas.
- Sanitising public areas. We’ve doubled down on sanitising all high contact surfaces (handles, light switches, faucets/knobs) with disinfectant spray.
- Keeping each other safe. In addition to all that, we’re actively encouraging any client or employee with symptoms or who has been exposed to anybody with symptoms to stay home.
We are here to support our community and encourage you all to make your physical and mental health a priority right now.
Thank you for your patronage of The Float Space for faster recovery and better health. We look forward to helping you feel better and remain healthier naturally! Book an infrared sauna, float or both today.
If you have additional questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.